Friday, August 28, 2020

The Truth - 34

 




The Truth - 34

 

 

The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

 

 

I do not know if there is anyone on this Planet who has not experienced anger, sadness, disappointment, betrayal, blackmail and frustration?.

If improperly managed, these negative emotions and actions can break a relationship, ruin a project, turn one into a hermit crab and even take a person's life.

I've learnt an emotion management skill that I find very effective.

I'll share with you today.

It is my Emotions Compartmentalization Technique

Just imagine a 7 room mansion with 7 different occupants and each occupant being so different from the others?

Imagine you can separate your feelings into different rooms.

The skill is to simply keep different emotion in different room and never mix different emotions in one room.

For example, I may be very frustrated with work, but once I am not on the issue, that room is closed.

When I work on other project or talk to other people, my emotion will be neutral.

Let's say you have Parents, each Parent has his or her own weakness which makes you angry, you do not transfer the anger of one Parent to the other

Let's say you have 2 kids. When one kid makes you angry, you do not transfer the aggression of that anger to the other kid who is innocent.

Every room starts with a neutral emotion.

I'm not saying you should suppress your emotion. In fact, it's bad to suppress your emotion.

Don't suppress. Let it out, but let it out fast.

I practice the 5 minute rule.

That means I will not hold on to a negative emotion for more than 5 minutes.

Well, I didn't really time it, but once I have let out my emotion, I'm done.

I'll simply keep it in the room and close it.

Just remember, your emotion ends with the event - period. 

Over the years, I've learnt to switch my emotion real fast.

Most important of all, I've learnt not to bring the emotion from one room to another room.

This skill has helped me to overcome the many betrayals I have suffered in the hands of my relatives and close friends and the many business and investment failures, I have experienced. 

It has been instrumental in keeping my mindset positive.

If you are in a "for benefit relationship" it is important that you and your "second self" learn this skill. It would help tide you over dangerous relationship storms; so that when you quarrel and argue and even fight, you can learn to put that into the room it belongs and smile again at each other while toasting one another.

My "Emotions Compartmentalization Technique" is not an end by itself, it is rather a means to an end.

Now, that is  *the Truth, the WHOLE Truth and nothing but the Truth*

--------------------------Jerry -the First

Follow me on Twitter  = Click on this LINK 

#TheTruth

#TheWholeTruth

#NothingButTheTruth








4 comments:

  1. I would rather see the "ECT" mastery as not just a learned act but a virtue.

    The most important commandment of Ancient Greek philosophers was that "Man Should Know Himself". This implies being knowledgeable of ones weaknesses and strengths and thereafter, improving in the weaknesses.

    On a day as this, we are being called to #Know Ourselves#. The ECT is an aspect of man knowing himself which can help improve ones relational life without impediments (of mixed feelings and anxiety).

    Thanks a lot Dr for this reflection!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great write up #Paschal
      I am happy to read this from you which means that you agree with me that we need to compartmentalize our emotions in order to have seamless relationships
      Do keep coming back

      Delete
  2. Our emotions are the key aspect of our life, managing it is also very vital. I have learnt something new today. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Managing emotions is a critical factor in relationships
      It's great to read from you #Chukwuebuka

      Delete