Saturday, January 9, 2021

You Need To Get Out Of Your Head

 



Read This Until It Sinks In

 

You Need To Get Out Of Your Head!

 

Sometime in 2018, I went on a hospital visitation and met a 10 year old girl in the Paediatrics Ward. On inquiry, I was told that she was battling a rare and aggressive type of cancer and that she was admitted for her 14th surgery in three years. Good gracious I exclaimed - 14th surgery in three years? How is she coping I asked my informant? She directed me to meet the patient and ask her that question.

So I approached her (her Parents and 2 other siblings were there) and I said "Young Lady, how are doing today?"

"I am not a young Lady yet Sir, she replied because I am yet to be 16 years"

"As for how I am doing, I must tell you Sir that every day I wake up and see the brightness of the day is a great blessing to me"

Was I surprised at her reply?

For a child who has passed through 13 surgeries and awaiting the 14th, to utter such words of appreciation to God showed me the quality of her heart and mindset.

I was then informed by her Parents that even after all the medical procedures and surgeries, they've never seen her frown—they've never seen her skip a beat. Although the odds continue to work against her, they are certain her attitude, acceptance and presence are the principal reasons she has lived so well to this point. She’s still positively engaged in living her life to the fullest. She laughs and plays with her friends and family. She has realistic, intelligent goals for the upcoming year that she’s already working on.

I then compared her attitude to that of some Adults I have also met and who complained and stressed and sweated over their health states.

If a kid like her can go through everything she’s been through and wake up every day with enthusiasm for the life she’s living, what reason do you have for thinking the worst about your situation?

It has been found out that most adults are hard wired for negativity and that is the main reason why we obsess over things, why we tend to see more negativities than positivities, why we confess lack instead of wealth and why we carry all those self-destructive fantasies in our heads.

Some of us are incredibly fortunate to be alive and healthy, and yet we sit at home most nights thinking the opposite. We don’t necessarily do this consciously or intensely, but we do it. We fantasize about how life ‘should’ be different than it is—how everything should be better, easier, more enjoyable and so forth. And these fantasies are slowly wrecking our attitudes and abilities to make progress on the things that are important to us.

And so today I want to ask you to get out of your head.

You would have realized that the older you grow, and the more real-world tragedies and challenges you witness, the more you realize how incredibly blessed you are, and how frequently the fantasies in your head hold you back from these present blessings. In fact, you’ve likely fantasized your way into headaches and heartaches dozens of times in the past year alone.

We all do this to a greater or lesser extent

We stress ourselves out, because of fantasies.

We procrastinate to the point of failure, because of fantasies.

We get angry with others, with ourselves, and with the world at large, because of fantasies.

We miss out on many of life’s most beautiful and peaceful moments, because of fantasies.

So today, I challenge you to move through this day and practice seeing the real life right in front of you as it truly is.

Do what you have to do without fantasizing and fearing the worst, lamenting about what might happen, or obsessing over how unfair everything is.

See others and accept them without hasty judgments. Choose not to allow their behavior to dominate your thoughts and emotions. Just be present and accepting. Then decide if you want to spend extra time with them (or extra time thinking about them). If not, part ways with dignity.

Replace your fantasies with full presence

And invest your best into what you’ve got right in front of you.

Wishing you a great day

#successwithdrjerrythefirst


8 comments:

  1. I choose to be grateful today and days to come for all the things God have done for me. Lord am grateful 🙌. I will also learn to see the good side in every given opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  2. DR.EKWEDIKE DENNIS: Fantastix, awesome ...That child is an example of what the late civil rights leader said that the mind is the standard of the man. Positivity in everything already has a positive outcome.I live a hope filled life and I am grateful to God for his grace and faithfulness and I encourage men to be grateful to both God and fellow men !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is always the last thing to go and most of the times, persons who exercise lots of hope and faith bounce back from their infirmities or calamities

      Delete
  3. I am most grateful for the gift of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are grateful for what we have, we set the stage and momentum to receive more

      Delete
  4. Very touching one, thanks for this piece. From Chinedu Gerald

    ReplyDelete