Tuesday, August 25, 2015

That Old Time Religion

This Post is for BEST COMMENTER CONTEST


From when I was very young and quite impressionable, I have always held religion in awe because that was how my Parents inculcated it right into me.

I was taught to see the Pastor as next to God and whose words were sacrosanct.

I was taught to reverence the Bishop because he communes with God in deeper depths than any would ever do

I was taught that sin is an abomination to any one and a reproach to any Nation, they did not teach me to beautify sin and give it another name but to see sin and call it sin

I listened attentively to the Pulpit talk whenever I attended a service because the words that would emanate from there were words of edification, which would make me think of how I am living my life and see if there is a way to cut out all that are hindering my progress on the road to heaven and not words that would make me feel comfortable in my sin.

I was taught that we all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that only the Grace of God keeps us going.

I was taught that the Church is the place where sinners go to obtain salvation, I was not taught that there are some RIGHTEOUS persons who come to Church and whose business is to CONDEMN others.

That old time religion taught me that hard work and perseverance are the way to riches.

In those days, a called Pastor would surely excel.

Then, Religion  had not been commercialized.

Today

Religion has gone hay wire, Pastors call themselves, anoint themselves and give themselves triple gifts - Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Doctor ........

All Pastors want to be General Overseers, even when they are in the service of another, all their attention is focused on how to poach some well to do members of that sect to form their own Churches

Today's trendy Pastors infuse laziness into the minds of their followers by asking them to fast and pray over things that they can do for themselves because they are serving God Who is the Owner of the thousand sheep on the hill and Who would do all (including the ones that the people ought to do for themselves). Little wonder then that we are having more "failed individuals."

They say hard work is akin to hard labour and so people should rather practice smart work!!!!!

They specialize in spewing out prophecies from God knows where and hypnotize their members into believing such prophecies to the point of parting even with their last savings to attend to the cleansing and spiritual bathing that must be done for fortune to smile (which 99.999% of the times is FALSE and FAKE).

I could go on and on and on but, I can just summarize by saying that the closeness and tightness wrought in the Church of old where Christians gather to "break bread in one Communion" is preferable to me than the openness of today's Religion.

I crave for that old time Religion!!!

Dr. Jerry - the First: JP

#DrJTF

1 comments:

  1. We can remember our leaders, who spoke God’s message to us; reflect on the outcome of their lives and imitate their faith.

    ReplyDelete