Monday, January 4, 2016

The Best Piece Of Advise I Ever Received





Once in someone's life time, another makes such a huge impression that it lasts a whole life literally speaking.

Such was the case of my Primary School Head Master, Mr. P. O. Obi-Obasi of blessed memory.

I had just finished Class 5 and written the almighty West African School Certificate Examination (WASCE) conducted by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC), came back to the house to wait out the result.

One morning I strolled down to the Primary School to greet my former Teachers and ran into him. He remembered me of course because he was my Father's good friend and as then I didn't even know that we are from the same Community.

So he inquired after what I was doing then and I gave him the information that I had just written the WASCE. He effusively congratulated me and led me into his office, asked me to take a seat and proceeded to say those words to me that were kind of a breakthrough message.

He said to me

"Young man, now that you are through with your Secondary Education; it is important that you don't sit down and while away your time as your peers are wont to do; I would tell you what an American President said to his people in the heat of the recessions

Here:
"Start what you can
with what you have
right where you are""

That was all he said to me but already it gave me ideas on how to occupy my time while waiting for admission into the Higher Institution.

And so I went to a Commercial School nearby our house and applied to teach Mathematics to the Students, I was employed.

While teaching Mathematics, I became highly interested in some Commercial subjects - Office Practice, Book Keeping, Typing and Shorthand.

I did a kind of trade by barter with some of the Senior Students, who came to me for Maths issues and I learnt these subjects from them.

Within a space of 1 year that I was in the house, I had learnt and perfected those 4 subjects; even though I really did not know why I was learning them but with hind sight now, I would say it was God at work in my life.

You may not believe it, but my short hand skill helped me a great deal in taking notes during my Medical School Education, to the point that most of my Class Mates would always complete their notes by using mine ( because I would take the notes in shorthand and then transcribe later)

My typewriting skill was the one that helped me pay my fees in the Medical School and also has helped me greatly in keeping my files privately personal as no Secretary types my documents for me, I do that myself and store my files where I only can reach them so no leakages have ever occurred around me.

My Book Keeping and Office Practice skills came to the fore when I was the Peoples Warden at All Saints Anglican Church Wuse Abuja, (it might interest you to know that the Peoples Warden is the Treasurer of the Church).

During that period, the books were meticulously kept that every kobo had its head and sub-head and were appropriately filed.

This led to most of the members of the Parochial Church Council (PCC) especially the Accountants actually wondering and openly asking if I was an Accountant or a Medical Doctor.

So you can see how the words dropped by my Head Master led me into acquiring skills that have helped me for life.

How about you?
Are you waiting for admission into a Higher Institution?
Or are you through with your NYSC and just sitting somewhere and waiting for JOB????

What are you doing with your time?

I would advise you just as I was advised

Instead of burning your time for nothing, go acquire some skills that will surely help you for life because no knowledge is a waste.

So, "start what you can, with what you have, right where you are"

And as you do that, I will see you on the inside

Let God Reign Supreme

Dr. Jerry - the First Oguzie: JP

#DrJTF

1 comments:

  1. Do what you can
    with what you have
    right where you are

    I can never forget those words

    ReplyDelete